Wednesday, March 08, 2006

In the beginning ...

Photos and camera have always been important to me. Using a camera trains the eye to look at the world in a new and wonderful way. When showing my photos to others they frequently have asked for prints and often I see several of my images nicely framed and hanging in people's homes.

Images of oceans, canals, skylines, cityscapes as well as all manner of ships and boats are most fascinating to me. And I wanted to put those images on items that people could use or wear.

After a few attempts at printing shirt transfers and applying them to shirts with an expensive heat press I was discouaged. This was after months of extensive research and reading and the purchase of approximately 30 dozen cotton shirts of various colors and sizes. However, the technology for printing as I wanted on fabric demanded white polyester and those shirts were too hot to wear. Then the thought of inventory and sizes and storage made the whole concept of selling images on shirts fade from my horizon. There were "transfers" which consisted of a layer of plastic adhered to shirts, I could have used those. They could be used on any color shirt but wearing a plastic patch on a shirt did not work well with my image of what I wanted to create or wear. I wouldn't sell something I wouldn't wear.

Time passed. My barely used, and probably retired, heat press moved hundred of miles with me and it was time for new distractions. Technology marched on. Recently I once again check out a service called CafePress (see www.CommodoresLocker.com ) and not only did they have new technology and printing processes, they also manage inventory, printing and shipping for people and business just like me.

Commodore